Volunteers from previous years will receive an e-mail with details about volunteering at the tournament in 2014.
If you're interested in volunteering for the first time, return here on April 26 to sign up.
- All volunteers who work four shifts during tournament week receive an official Wilson tournament shirt and two complimentary tickets to a match session during that week.
- Volunteers receive free parking and meals during their shift(s).
- All Volunteers are required to work at least four shifts between July 19-27, unless noted below.
- Please note that start and end times of shifts can vary due to rain delays and changes in match schedule, etc., so personal schedule flexibility is encouraged.
- Volunteer sign-ups will close on Friday, May 30.
- All volunteers are required to attend Orientation on Saturday, June 14 at Atlantic Station.
- Volunteers will be required to follow a list of Dos and Don'ts that will be supplied to you at a later date.
VOLUNTEER COMMITTEE DESCRIPTIONS
- The transportation driver is responsible for providing transportation to all players, coaches, VIPs and umpires. While the majority of the travel will be to and from the airport, they must be available to transport players and their families to and from the designated hotels and the tournament site as needed.
- Drivers will also perform duties such as Airport Greeter for arriving players and coaches as assigned.
- Volunteers in this Team may be assigned shifts beginning Wednesday, July 16.
- Applicants for this Team must be 25 years of age, have a valid driver’s license, and a good driving record. A personal background check and Department of Motor Vehicles driving record review will be conducted. Drivers should have good working knowledge of the area and routes to local airports and venues. Volunteers must possess the ability to remain professional at all times.
Transportation (Operations Desk)
- Volunteers in this role communicate with the Player Liaison and other members of the tournament staff who coordinate flights and travel arrangements for the players, officials, etc. Their responsibility is to work with the drivers, airport greeters and other volunteers to make sure the players and coaches get to their assigned courts on a timely basis.
- Responsibility also includes checking on flights and communicating delays or schedule changes to tournament staff.
- Desk volunteers will be stationed at the tournament site.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age and have the ability to shift priorities and multitask as needed. Candidates should be comfortable working in a high pressure environment and understand that there will be a high sense of urgency in any requests they receive.
- As a member of the Security team you will be required to rotate posts, act in various capacities and adapt to daily operational changes in order to provide and guarantee a safe environment for all who attend the event.
- You will support professional Security staff in protecting and maintaining the safety and security of tournament players and their guests, event patrons and all volunteer staff. Your duties extend to the integrity of the grounds and secure tournament areas.
- Responsibilities will include package and bag searching, escorting players, controlling court access, transporting players, assisting patrons with directions and emergencies, etc.
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age and are required to submit to a background check before being accepted.
- Approved and accepted applicants will be provided with a unique tournament shirt, which identifies them as Security personnel. All Security volunteers will report to the Director of Security, Gordon Marrin.
Guest Services and Hospitality
- Volunteers of this Team are the face of the tournament to the public.
- Patrons will be directed to Guest Services for information about the day’s draw and events, maps and general Atlantic Station and venue information. This location will serve as the location for the Lost and Found.
- Candidates should enjoy helping the public, possess a good sense of direction and become familiar with the layout of the tournament venue. Time should be taken to review the Daily Draw and daily match recap prior to the start on the day.
- Volunteers are responsible for promoting and selling tournament publications.
- Volunteers may be stationed at the Atlantic Station and tournament main ticket entrances to assist Security with checking bags, answering questions and directing patrons to courts and other locations.
- Applicants for this position must be at least 21 years old, have prior experience in a customer service role, excellent communication skills and present a warm and friendly disposition. This position may require extended time periods in a standing position. Individuals who cannot tolerate summer temperatures and/or direct sun should not consider applying for this Team.
- The Volunteer Services area and staff are the main source of information for all Team volunteers.
- Volunteers assist with uniform and meal voucher distribution, volunteer comments, suggestions or complaints and act as the liaison to tournament staff. They oversee the volunteer check-in lounge, information and scheduling boards.
- Team volunteers may be asked to substitute in another area as needed, depending on individual skill set and interest.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. Candidates must possess excellent customer service and communication skills and have the ability to multi-task. This is the ideal role for individuals who enjoy helping people. Familiarity with the tournament is helpful although training will be provided.
- Ticket Collection volunteers are stationed at the main entrance to the stadium and grandstand courts.
- Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, stamping hands, tearing and validating tickets and maintaining orderly entrance activity.
- Must be comfortable standing for extended periods of time in the heat.
- Applicants for this role must be at least 18 years old and possess excellent customer service skills as well as patience and the ability to deal with large groups of people.
- Volunteer Scorekeepers assist IDS (Information and Display Systems) using technology that records serve speed and placement and records stroke count.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age; applicants should possess a working knowledge of the game of tennis and have basic computer skills. Volunteers must be flexible and able to work longer than their assigned shift if the match to which they are assigned starts late or runs long.
- Attendance at a training session prior to Qualifying weekend is required.
- Court Monitors assist the Lead Umpire in maintaining on-court supplies and monitoring the crowd for issues. They also communicate the progress of play and court needs via radio to the appropriate Team Leaders.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age with good concentration and focus skills. Volunteers must have the flexibility to adjust shift times as matches may not run on schedule, due to rain delays or other player factors.
- Ballpersons play a very important role in the overall operation of each match. Their primary job is to retrieve balls when they are out of play.
- All Ballpersons must know how to keep score, move quickly, endure long matches in the sun and work well with others on a team.
- Must be mature, have good hand-eye coordination, and possess good citizenship.
- Ballpersons who worked the 2013 tournaments do not have to try out, but MUST apply.
- Must be 13 years old by July 19, 2014 (proof of age required) in order to participate.
- All accepted Ballpersons must attend Orientation on Saturday, June 14 for uniform fitting.
- Must be available for the Qualifying weekend and well as the other days throughout the duration of the tournament. (July 19-27, 2013).
Ballpersons (First-year applicants)
- You must attend a tryout session offered during the week of May 12. (You need only attend ONE tryout session). Please return to this website to find out dates, times and locations of tryout sessions.
- You are required to work at least one shift during Qualifying Weekend. There will be no exceptions.
- Volunteers are responsible for checking tickets and directing patrons to their designated seats. This Team works Stadium Court, Grandstand and the practice courts.
- Ushers are also responsible for reporting any inappropriate behavior to Security and for summoning medical personnel as necessary.
- Ushers must be at least 18 years of age and able to work in sun and heat. Must be able to stand for long periods of time if needed.